A postpartum doula is an expert for after birth. She is your best friend, mother, sister, new mom expert, breastfeeding and baby specialist at once!
While you might have prepared for labor and birth now you are coming back home and suddenly your OB or midwife is not the person to talk to anymore but your pediatrician! But wait, your pediatrician is only there for medical questions, handling of jaundice and whether your baby has all reflexes.
So who will answer these questions:
- We are SO happy but don’t get anything else done than taking care of our baby. We need help!
- My baby just took the breast but it hurt me, help!
- My baby just fell asleep on the breast, what can I do?
- I feel like crying all the time, is this normal?
- I can’t put my baby into the crib or he will start crying, what can I do?
- My breast hurts! Help!
- My partner is not sure how to help me.
- Nobody has time to do grocery shopping, let alone prepare a meal. How can I make sure I get all the nutrients I need?
- I don’t know how to change a diaper.
- I don’t know if all these movements and sounds my baby makes are normal.
- I don’t know if I have everything I need to take care of my baby
- My pediatrician said my baby is not gaining enough weight
- I am not sure if I have enough milk?
- We are SO tired and need help.
Your postpartum doula will be there for all these issues and more! With a NY Doula postpartum doula by your side
- you will learn how to take care of yourself after birth
- you will learn how to make sure your baby is latched on correctly if you are breastfeeding
- you will learn how to avoid sore nipples and infections if you are breastfeeding
- you will learn how to bottle feed if you are not breastfeeding
- you will learn how to treat the cord
- you will learn what changes to expect in your baby
- you will learn how your partner can be super-helpful
- you will learn what to do when your baby has jaundice
- >you will learn how to have the best recovery from vaginal birth or a c-section
- you will learn what body changes to expect after birth
- you will have your doula to cook for you
- you will learn what to eat during the postpartum phase
- your doula will do some light housekeeping
- you will have someone to take care of older siblings
- you can call or text your doula with questions
- you will learn how to notice signs of postpartum depression
- you will have a far less likelihood to develop postpartum depression
- you have a wonderful resource if you need a referral to a specialist
- you will be part of our NYDoula-Facebook group for support
No matter what your plan for the postpartum weeks is, we are here for you! Contact Stephanie at email@example.com for rates and packages!