Is a baby latching on? How to tell
Signs of a Good Suck
The following are signs that the baby is sucking properly at the breast.
- Upon initial latch baby will begin to suck quickly
- These quick sucks will trigger mothers letdown reflex.
- Baby’s sucking will become longer and a suck-suck-pause pattern should develop as the milk lets down.
- Baby’s ear and temple will wiggle with each suck.
- Mother should feel a gentle tugging, but no pain.
- Baby’s lips should be flanged and tongue should cup the breast.
- See it: The temple/ear wiggle, jaw movement
- Feel it: Gentle tugging at the breast
- Hear it: Audible suck, swallow, pattern